2019 Novelty Hill Stillwater Creek Vineyard Sauvignon blanc

2019 Novelty Hill Stillwater Creek Vineyard Sauvignon blanc

Stillwater Creek Vineyard,
Royal Slope,
Columbia Valley,
Washington

13.5% alcohol

Cork closure

1666 cases produced

80% Sauvignon blanc, 20% Semillon

First, let me say that if you’re looking for a New Zealand-style (a la freshly cut grass or cat pee), this is not it. I’m not a fan of that style so when I find a bottle like this one, I want to share it with everyone! This Sauvignon blanc has plenty of tropical and mineral notes!

Considering that 85% of this wine was barrel-fermented in new and used French oak barrels (and the other 15% stayed in stainless steel), winemaker Mike Januik did an amazing job of retaining the acidity while adding good texture.

Bouquet:

Oh, so minerally and fruity! Aromas of fresh rain and gravel dust intertwined with mangos and honeydew melons. (And not one drop of cat pee!)

Palate:

This Sauv blanc was jazzy and bright with tropical flavors of pineapples, passionfruit, and lemongrass. Tart lemons, freshly grated lemon zest, and minerality dazzled my tongue, leaving me with a long, spicy ginger finish after each swallow.

Food pairing suggestions:

Pan-roasted swordfish steaks with mixed-peppercorn butter, shrimp tacos with mango pico de gallo, spanakopita.

SRP $18

The winery is sold out of this vintage but you might find it online or at your favorite wine shop or grocer. Otherwise, look for the new vintage to be released very soon.

www.noveltyhilljanuik.com

Follow these links to read more about the Royal Slope AVA and the wines made from there:

Royal Slope, Washington wine’s crowning jewel

2018 Baer Winery Shard

2017 Novelty Hill Stillwater Creek Vineyard Syrah 

2019 Novelty Hill Stillwater Creek Vineyard Viognier 

2016 Baer Winery Arctos Cabernet sauvignon 

Washington crowns the new Royal Slope AVA

Royal Slope, Washington State’s newest wine AVA

Review our legal policies and disclaimers

Sharing is caring so choose your platform!

About the Author: Michele Francisco

Michele Francisco, a founder and regular contributor to Winerabble, a blog primarily about Pacific Northwest wines, is living the dream in Portland, Oregon. Her passion leads some to believe she's got wine running through her veins. Contact Michele at michele@winerabble.com & be sure to visit her online portfolio at www.michelefrancisco.com.

Leave A Comment